[Clayart] Reclaimed, Pug Milled Clay not always perfect.

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 06:10:05 UTC 2023

Dan Saultman wrote: "Those of you with cone 6 temps might search for a "fixit" recipe if your pugged clay is short or not up to snuff.
The pug mill is essential, but it is not always putting out the quality of clay I want.

Here's my "Fixit" Recipe for cone 10 porcelain:

Kaolin - Grolleg 50
Neph Sy - 25
Flint - 25
------------------100
Bentonite - 2.0
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Hi Dan,
Do you really think to blame your pug mill?

The ingredients in your "fixit formula" that you add to the pugging scrap, would still all contribute to the shortness of the resulting throwing body except for the 2% added Bentonite.
The Grolleg, Neph Sy, and Silica, are the essentials of a rudimentary porcelain type body anyway and so do no harm while absorbing the excess moisture in your reclaimed pugged material.

You suggest a "Fixit" for cone 6 users reclaim: It's well known that 1/3 each of Redart, Om4, and Fire clay, will fire as a Cone 6 red body and soak up the throwing water slop scrap efficiently when added in dry form..
For a white clay cone 6 "Fixit" Ron Roy published a good Cone 6 white using a "synthetic" ball clay. that increases the plasticity.   These simple red and white formulations are themselves working Clay Bodies.
No need to call these formulations a "fixit" because ain't nothing broke but the throwing away of the throwing water which is siphoning off the needed plasticity fines that should be returned to the scrap.

wish you success.

Misneach,