[Clayart] pug mills

William Schran wschran at twc.com
Sun Aug 27 13:22:48 UTC 2023

I found a pugmill to be a must as both a time saver and a human body
saver.While teaching we had a Peter Pugger VPM 20 to reclaim all the
slurry that a studio of students produce.The clay was a mix of various
cone 6 bodies and students who participated in the reclaim/pugging
process were allowed to use this recycled clay at no cost.When I began
teaching crystalline glaze courses and others using porcelain or other
white cone 6 clays I got a Pugger VPM 9SS as we needed a smaller
pugmill and one with a stainless steel barrel to prevent corrosion
that would happen in a aluminum barrel. A nice thing about the Peter
Pugger is that one can seal the mixing chamber and the end where the
clay is extruded, leaving any remaining clay moist.
As I began producing more in my own studio I began to tire of cut &
slam wedging of the reclaimed clay and began to research what pugmill
might be best for my small studio situation. I came across a notice
that a potter was selling her older Bluebird pugmill. It is a model
440V, de-airing and is perfect for my small studio. The only downside
is the chamber can't be fully sealed to keep remaining clay moist, so
if I leave it too long I have to remove the barel and clean out the
machine.
Bill

William Schranwschran at twc.com703-505-1617